Edgar Adolph Joseph Sternberg
Siegfried Sternberg was the son of Wolff and Rieke Sternberg. He was born in Aurich, Hannover, Germany, on 31 August 1854. His wife was Luise Zander, born about 1868. They married on 3 September 1889 and moved to Manchester shortly after, appearing in the 1891 census. They had 3 children, Edgar, Rupert and Harold Edwin. Siegfried obtained UK naturalisation in Manchester on 17 January 1913, recorded by the Commissioner of Oaths at 20 St Ann’s Square. He was a shipping merchant of cotton goods and was a successful and wealthy man. The family always had 3 or 4 servants. In 1891 the family lived at 170 Wilmslow Rd and in 1901 and 1911 at Lyndhurst, 120 Palatine Rd. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission website records an address of 50 Whitworth St at the time of Edgar’s death, but that may have been a business address as probate gave his address as Moseley Hall, Cheadle. Moseley Old Hall is a 17th century building and is now one of the oldest buildings in Cheadle. It is hidden away near a modern housing estate in Cuthbert Rd. Bonnie Prince Charlie is said to have visited there in 1745 on his way south. Siegfried died on 23 October 1922. Probate was awarded to Luise Sternberg, Erhard Herbert Hirschberg (merchant) and Harold Edwin Stamford (merchant). Harold was the youngest son and appears to have changed his name. Siegfried left £191101 1s 7d.
Edgar was born in Manchester on 16 June 1890. Interestingly, his name was registered as Adolph Edgar Joseph but the order of the names changed later. He attended Charterhouse School, Godalming, Surrey, from 1904 to 1908. He subsequently studied medicine at Trinity Hall, Cambridge. In September 1914 he joined the King’s Own Royal Lancaster Regiment, becoming a second lieutenant. He served with the 11th and 2nd Battalions. He fought at Gallipoli and then returned to the Western Front and died in France on 16 October 1916, just 3 months after his younger brother, Rupert Sternberg. He was 26. He was buried at the Philosophe British Cemetery, Mazingarbe, reference I. H. 26.