Henry Malpas Tuck
Henry Humphrey Tuck was born in Awliscombe, Devon around 1845. In 1881 the family lived at 19 George St, Pendleton. Henry was a policeman. He and his wife, Jessie, had three children, James Henry 6, Charles 4 and Annie 7 months. By 1891 they had moved to the police station in Bolton Rd, Pendleton. Henry was now a sergeant. The couple had 6 children, James Henry, now 16, was a shipping clerk. Four police officers also lodged at that address. Henry was still working as a police sergeant in 1901 at the same address. However, by 1911 he was described as a police pensioner and had moved to 121 Burton Rd, West Didsbury. He died on 28 May 1913 at Pinfold Farm, West Didsbury. Probate was awarded on 28 June to Jessie and their son, Frederick George, a County Court clerk, in the sum of £525 14s 9d.
Jessie Twose was born near Buckland, Somerset about 1851. She died on 9 May 1927 and her address was given as 119 Burton Rd. Probate was awarded on 27 July to Frederick George Tuck, County Court clerk, in the sum of £276 11s 10d. Maternal grandparents
John Reece was born in Gorton about 1833 and Mary in Manchester about 1841. They had at least 10 children, Selina being the sixth. In 1881 the family lived at the grocer’s shop, Higher Rd, Urmston, and John and Mary were provisions dealers. In 1891 they had moved to 6 Claremont Rd, Pendleton and John was an electrician.
Henry’s parents were James Henry Tuck and Selina Jane Tuck (nee Reece) James was born in Spalding, Lincolnshire in 1874. Selina was born in Lower Broughton, Salford about 1876.
In 1901 they lived at 4 Wharf Rd, Sale. James was described as a clerk, foreign correspondence. Henry Malpas was 2 years old. In 1911 the family lived at Spring Mount, Mellor, and James was a commercial clerk, export trade. They now had a second son, James Leslie, born in 1910 in Chorlton, who later emigrated to the USA around 1946, dying in 1980 in New Mexico. We cannot be sure if this is the same person but a Mr James Leslie Tuck was described in 1944 as a Senior Experimental Officer, Ministry of Supply and was awarded the OBE (Civil Division).
In 1918 James and Selina lived at 12 Kenilworth Avenue, West Didsbury, just opposite where the Withington Community Hospital now stands.
Both James and Selina died in Kerrier, Cornwall in 1947.
Henry was born on 10 October 1898 in Swinton. He was baptised on 9 November 1898 at St. Peter’s church in Swinton. At that time the family’s address was 134 Manchester Rd, Swinton.
He was a second lieutenant in the 21st and 26th Battalions, Royal Fusiliers, Middlesex Regiment. He died on 26 October 1918, aged 20. He is buried in the Moorseele Military Cemetery, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium, Grave reference B 15.